WORLD CRAFTS COUNCIL
(WCC AISBL) INTERNATIONAL
Digitization and Virtualization
Day 1: Wednesday, 1 September 2021
Day 2: Thursday, 2 September 2021
Day 3: Friday, 3 September 2021
The virtual world is here to stay and offers the opportunity to reach greater audiences and new forms of expression. Participants will be introduced to content and techniques to best digitalise and virtualise crafts; e-marketing and promotion; and how to protect against e-risks.
The Covid-19 pandemic has highlighted the importance of digitalisation and virtualization as a new frontier of communication, promotion, marketing and experiencing crafts. Thus, as lockdowns were imposed, the only means of connection between many isolated craft communities and producers with the outside world was through the internet. Not only were craft products marketed and sold over the net, but the crafts sector also expanded its repertoire to include other intangible and experiential aspects of the practice, such as digital storytelling and sharing methodologies of repairing, mending and maintaining craft products.
Although nothing can replace the physical tactile features and encounters of crafts, engagement with the digital and the virtual world is here to stay. This new interaction will add another dimension and avenue for the crafts sector to reach out to greater audiences and as a news means of expression and interaction.
In order build resilience the crafts sector needs support in building greater capacities to engage with the digital and virtual world.
The aim of the workshop is to:
- introduce the type and nature of content that is appropriate for digitalisation and virtualisation;
- impart techniques to best digitalise and virtualise craft;
- elaborate on e-marketing and e-promotion of craft; and
- to explain how to protect and migitate oneself against e-risks
- Dr Britta Kalkreuter
- Ananya Battacharya, Co-founder and Director, banglanatak dot com
- Prof Benedetta Ubertazzi, Legal Expert and UNESCO facilitator, Glocal Capacity Building
Programme for Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage
- Sreendanda Ganguli, Co-founder Calcutta Art and Flea
- Anindita Patra, Culture and Development Officer, banglanatak dot come
Workshop Documents (PDF Links):
- CLICC Artisan Project - KineMaster App Guide
- CLICC Craft Video Filming Guide
- E-Marketing Strategies : Collective individual rights, trademarks, trade secrets, copyright
- Tools and Techniques for E-Protection Protection strategies in working with bloggers
- Working with Influencers and Bloggers
- Working with Influencers Breakout Room Activity